Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hooking children on fishing

I love fishing ... always have. I'm a big believer in the father-son bond built through fishing, and I've spent the better part of the last year and a half teaching my son, Tyler, simple fundamentals of fishing.

"Hooks are sharp, Tyler."
"Don't cast at Daddy, Tyler."
"No, we don't eat worms, Tyler."
"What do we fish, Tyler?"
"Big bass, Daddy."
"That's right, Tyler ... big bass."

As you can see, we've covered the essentials. But I've also found that as he's gotten older — he turns 3 in August — he has a more independent take on fishing.

"No, Daddy, I'll do it."
"Daddy, just let me cast it. I'll do it."
And for some reason, he's picked up the classics, "I already know that" and "I know, I know."

We practiced casting Wednesday with his Spider-Man pole. It's a pretty slick, close-faced setup, and the handle lights up whenever he presses the button, which has been a bonus novelty for him. Last year, the wife (Mollie) and I took him out fishing a few times, and he sure loved pulling in the crappies and sunfish, but he loved it even more when his mom reeled in a catch or two. And he learned, as he so eloquently stated, that sheep's head are "icky."

We'd cast for him then, but in this independent state, he has to cast everything. I sensed this dilemma coming on this winter, and through a pure stroke of genius (my wife's suggestion) we tied a quarter-sized, circular magnet to the end of his line. Now, Mollie is one of those cool moms who always has a fun activity planned or stowed away, and this magnet trick was no different. After tying on the magnet, she came back with laminated fish from a box in the basement and slipped paper clips over the mouths of the fish, making an instant, cheap game for Tyler to enjoy while learning (without realizing it) how to cast and reel.

The wife's on to something here; she's pretty smart. I fully recommend this technique to anyone interested in getting a toddler into fishing. I'm still deathly afraid of him near hooks, but at least we've got a base to work with.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog! You have great fishing advice along with awesome stories. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have a pretty special wife. Does she have any sisters?

    ReplyDelete