Saturday, May 2, 2009

Twitter mania

Everyone these days is trying to figure out ways to utilize Twitter and other social networking systems to their advantage. While I'm not a big fan of either, I also realize these sites have unbelievable potential to link people, businesses and more. My big complaint about using social-networking tools, namely tools such as Twitter, is when do people ever take time to relax and unplug? For many people, fishing, hunting, golfing, camping, biking, etc., is a way to escape from the daily grind of cell phones, computers, TVs and people we just plain don't want to talk to.

Still, what are good ways to use Twitter in our outdoor lives. Maybe there is a demand to read updates of people catching fish or to see in-the-field pictures of a 9-point buck. I'm not sure. But I do like Outdoor News' approach to Twitter, in which staff writer Steve Piatt will hold a Q&A on turkey hunting. Of course, the big Twitter project for Outdoor News will come during walleye opener next Saturday, when anglers can send tweets while on the lake and people around the state can follow the action via their Twitter accounts.

Seems like a lot of work to me, but to a growing number of people linked through their cell phones and computers, it probably seems like fun. Still, I like the approach of unplugging while outdoors — you know, the place where tweet still means the sound a bird makes, not some nonsensical mix of words compiled by twitaddicts. But that's just my two cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment