Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fishing for Lakemaids

Last year, Schell's Brewery out of New Ulm and Rapala teamed up to create Lakemaid Beer, which, apparently, is inspired by the legend of the freshwater mermaid, or lakemaid in this case. When I first came across this news nugget, I instantly thought cheap beer, because what goes better with fishing than affordable, tasty beer — although I had my suspicions on the latter part. And originally, this little marketing beauty was only going to be available for 2008. So when I first read about Lakemaid Beer and found myself intrigued, I was disappointed to read that the 2008 designation meant I'd missed the boat. Fortunately for me, I happen to know a guy who's on the up-and-up, and he informs me that due to the popularity of the beer, Schell's and Rapala have decided to give it another go. So this year I think I'll do some fishing for a Lakemaid and see how it tastes.

Of course, I'm in the minority when it comes to fishing and drinking, and I'm definitely not advocating drinking. I often accuse the walleye fisherman of being more interested in the beer than the catch, although I know that as I type those words, some diehard somewhere is ready to jump down my throat. But cheap shots aside, drinking does go hand-in-hand with the Midwestern fishermen I know. And there's nothing wrong with a little responsible drinking to help relax on a weekend away from work, but getting buzzed (or worse) is a buzzkill for me when I'm out fishing. Besides, any bass fisherman worth his salt knows that using his or her senses makes the most sense. So be smart in 2009 as we approach the season openers for walleye, northern and bass. Be safe, and catch your limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment