Monday, April 27, 2009

Crappie action

I've been hearing a lot about Madison Lake and Lake Tetonka for crappie action. Haven't got out myself, but plenty of my fishing buddies have, and they say when the winds aren't pushing you around, the bite has been fairly decent. That sounds like most springs, with anglers always struggling with the inconsistent weather and sometimes overcharged winds. I'm thinking this week could be a real good bite for the crappie. I imagine a person could hit several shorelines and pick up a good bite in the shallower, warmer water. But then again, the itch to launch a boat will be too much for most. Still, I'm wondering how the mill on the east side of Big Jefferson is doing? Fellow Free Presser John Cross turned me on to that spot last year, and I was very impressed with the early-spring crappie action. Of course, you have to pick through a few bullheads, too, but there are usually a few takers of the yellow-bellied slimers. I'd prefer not to eat bullhead, but there are plenty who contend the mud-bathing bullheads taste pretty good out of cold water. To each their own, I guess. The only downsize to the mill, I've learned, is the secret about that spot was out years and years ago, and a trip to the mill most certainly will be shared by a few, if not a good contingent, of local anglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment