Friday, May 22, 2009

Pregame jitters

Well, I've got a good night of designing and editing ahead of me here at the office, but before I hauled myself in, I made sure to go through the prep stages for tomorrow's opener.

Four poles, all restrung, tied up and ready to go. On my smallest pole, a 6-footer, I have 8-pound test. I am tied up Texas-rig style with this one. Tomorrow I will top it off with a TriggerX, chartreuse worm to start with.

I own two 6-and-1/2-foot poles, both rigged with 10-pound test line. On one I have a white and green Chatterfrog, on the other I have a white Strike King Bitsy Bug, which I'll tip with a white, Uncle Josh pork trailer tomorrow. Finally I have a bait caster set up with 15-pound test line and a heavy, 1/4 ounce football jig, blue, which will also be tipped with a pork trailer.

On the first day of bass opener, I fish slow. Colder water means slower presentation, which is evident by three of my four setups for the morning. But I like a locator bait as well; something I can rip through the water for reactionary bites. The Chatterfrog, a first for me last season, has quickly become the bait of choice, though I don't mind throwing a buzz bait or spinner bait, either.

Just a few thoughts to help pass the time till opener. I'm sure I'll have one last post after work tonight ... something to help burn the last, anticipation energy before bed.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Fishing Doug. What about the Mimic Minnow? I notice you didn't mention that as one of your choices. Dave

    ReplyDelete