Saturday, May 23, 2009

The game plan

Looks like Memorial Day weekend is shaping up to be a nice one. It rained shortly after 1 a.m., enough to push back the humidity in the air. The rain was quick, painless, and I see it having little to do with the bite in the morning.

For the last two weeks, I've watched bass come out of slightly deeper water than normal. Instead of the good shore bite, a lot of what I saw caught was on slow moving presentations — crappie minnows, beetle spins. But Thursday, while banging the shoreline for crappies, I picked off two bass, back-to-back from nearly the same spot, and both were on the shoreline. The catches came at the tale end of the fishing outing (early afternoon) when I was just trying to catch one more crappie for the stringer.

Have they move into the shore? Are they heavy into the spawn? Will they suspended on the edges of drop offs? Will they get tucked under brush and trees overhanging the lake, like they did so often last spring and into early summer?

Wow, that's a good load of questions to start with. I'll sleep on it and get back to you after a morning of fishing. Feel free to let me know how your bass opener went.

No comments:

Post a Comment