Thursday, May 28, 2009

Slow but fun

The bass action has been good at times, great at times, and very slow at times. Almost a week into the bass opener and I can't complain.

I've had a few readers tell me about their openers, their honey holes, and a few places in between. Getting schooled on Sunday of opener weekend has made me go back to the basics — slow presentations, plenty of jigs and Texas rigs, and a whole lot of switching lures.

The past two days I've pulled in eight ... not good, not bad. But of the eight, five have come in at 14 inches or bigger. I'm still having luck with a white, Strike King buzzbait, and the ChatterFrog has been almost nonexistent.

The worm, well, that's been really hot at times, and not-so-impressive at other times. Perhaps my biggest problem is my love for the strike of a bass on a buzzbait. And seeing how I've had so much luck with the spring buzzies, I tend to get locked into that lure way too much.

Perhaps next time I will try something different. Perhaps I will continue to get a feel for my new Jitterbug. Perhaps I will switch over to the ChatterFrog again, or maybe I will go simple and throw a spinner bait.

Either way, it's definitely time to change it up.

2 comments:

  1. Doug
    What is the origin of the term "honey hole"? I've never heard that in relation to fishing before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question, J.J. I'm not exactly sure where the term first came from, but basically a honey hole is a place or location that holds big fish or lots of fish.

    ReplyDelete